Thursday, August 25, 2011

Friendship

We said our final goodbyes to an amazing friend today, after losing her suddenly last Sunday. To me, Sandra Hyatt was a friend, but she was also a devoted wife and mother, a passionate writer, and so much more. There were tears today, but there was laughter, too, as we shared our favorite memories of Sandra.

I remember how tickled the two of us were when we accidentally discovered we'd both been to the same small town in California that none of our other friends had ever heard of. From then on, we always had Yuba City. And it was in CA, this time in a much larger city, at a RWA Conference, that Sandra got "The Call" - her joy was just luminous, and the entire conference one big celebration.

Only three weeks ago, she gave a brilliant workshop at our local RWNZ meeting, the notes from which I have sitting beside my computer. A whole bunch of us had coffee together afterward. It was the last time I spoke and laughed with her, and I can still see her sitting across the table, her wild, gorgeous mane of curls tamed straight.

Then there were those fantabulous sneakers of hers that I may have threatened to steal one sunshiney Saturday as we stood having tea before the start of another meeting. We laughed over that, and over whether angels flew vertically or horizontally. Explanations with hands and bodies were involved. Thinking of it now still makes me smile, and I think that's fitting, because Sandy had the most beautiful smile, and of all the things I remember about her, it's her smile that is the brightest.

I will miss you, my wondeful, generous, kind friend. I'm so glad I had the chance to know and love you, and that your vibrant voice will continue to live on in your stories.

p.s. I still adore those sneakers!

14 comments :

Saiqa said...

Hi Nalini,
Reading this made me cry. She sounded like a wonderful person.It is good that you are keeping her memory alive by sharing happy stories too.

Diane said...

I'm trying hard to hold back the tears as I read this. Nalini my deepest sympathies to her family and to her friends.

Aurian said...

My condolences to you Nalini, and to those she has left behind. Just keep remembering the good things, and she will stay alive in your heart. (p.s. and buy those same sneakers!)

Joanna K. said...

My condolences to you and Ms. Hyatt's friends & family. :( It's always unfortunate and tragic when a loved one passes away. Cherish those happy memories the two of you made together and I'm sure she's looking over you wherever she is now.

Madhura said...

So sorry to hear that. My condolences to Sandra and her family.

Anonymous said...

Condolences to you Nalini and the family of Sandra.

P.S. I'm from Yuba City, CA :-)

Annonymous... said...

condolences, may she be in a better place.Peace.

Anonymous said...

Touching words Nalini(It´s really hard not to cry during reading.).
She will remain alive as long you, her family and friends will keep her in their hearts and memories.
And through her books she is immortal.

Lisa Botelho said...

Reading this made me feel like I knew her as well, and I couldn't help but cry. I want those sneakers as well. I am sure she is up there flying with her angels both vertically and horizontally. My heart goes out to you and her family during this time.

Soraya Lane - Romance Author said...

It was so nice to see you last week Nalini, I only wish it had been for a happy occasion instead. Thanks again for collecting us from the airport :)

I've been thinking about Sandra heaps since last Thursday, and I honestly can't believe that her beautiful family have to carry on their lives without her. It's so incredibly sad.

Soraya

Nalini Singh said...

Thank you for all the lovely words everyone. Sandra was a truly special person and she'll be hugely missed.

Anon from Yuba City - welcome :)

Soraya - I hope the flight back was okay. I think it'll take a long time to sink in that Sandy's gone. But she's left such a mark on this world - she'll never be forgotten.

mbot565 said...

My condolences to you and Sandra's family. May you and her families find comfort in her stories.

PeppyPilotGirl said...

What a touching introduction to your friend - i'm crying as I type. It's clear this was not just your loss or her family's loss but the world's loss. My prayers will be with her family and friends. Wishing you happy memories and unexpected solace.

Sajida said...

Beautiful and bittersweet memories, Ms. Nalini. It is through the memories we make with our loved ones that we live on. May God give you, Sandra Hyatt's family and loved ones strength in this time of grief and may she rest in peace.